LaptopMode

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:39:51 PDT 2005

> David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) said:
> > On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 23:14 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Okay, what about putting the echo "foo" > /proc/bar stuff into the
> > > fedora script pm-lowpower mode (I can bugzilla this against pmtools) and
> >
> > I think it makes sense for Fedora to have such a script. Bill, what do
> > you think?
>
> Sure, that could work.

These are the current parameters Bill,

laptopmode = SetPowerSave is FALSE
default    = SetPowerSave is TRUE

# Seconds laptop mode has to to wait after the disk goes idle before
doing a sync.
echo "x" > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
default: 0
laptop-mode: 2

echo "x"> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
default: 500
laptop-mode: 30

echo "x"> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
default: 3000
laptop-mode: 30

# Dirty synchronous ratio.  At this percentage of dirty pages the
process which calls write() does its own writeback.
echo "x"  > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
default: 40
laptop-mode: 60

# Allowed dirty background ratio, in percent.  Once DIRTY_RATIO has been
exceeded, the kernel will wake pdflush which will then reduce the amount
of dirty memory to dirty_background_ratio.  Set this nice and low, so
once some writeout has commenced, we do a lot of it.
echo "x" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
default: 10
laptop-mode: 1

Do you want to knock a script up, or shall I?

Richard.