Mount a firewire drive at boot time...

Eric Walstad eric at ericwalstad.com
Wed Sep 28 15:59:30 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a firewire/external drive to be mounted at boot time
and be read/writeable by two users (ese and ewalstad).  First, I'm
not sure what changes need to be made to my fstab and, second, I'm
not sure how to configure HAL to write those changes.

I'm running Fedora Core 4.

Here's what I've done:

# Setup the firewire drive
fdisk /dev/sda
    (make four primary partitions)
mke2fs -jv -L firewire1 /dev/sda1
    (repeat for sda2-sda4)

# Hal adds the items to my fstab a la:
# cat /etc/fstab | grep /dev/sda
/dev/sda4  /media/firewire4  ext3  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda3  /media/firewire3  ext3  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda2  /media/firewire2  ext3  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda1  /media/firewire1  ext3  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

I then mount a partition (as root):
mount /media/firewire4

Verify that /media/firewire4 is mounted:
# cat /etc/mtab | grep sda
/dev/sda4 /media/firewire4 ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,_netdev 0 0

As an unpriviledged user I try:
touch /media/firewire4/trash.txt
touch: cannot touch `trash.txt': Permission denied

The /media/firewire4 directory, after mounting, has the following
permissions:
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Sep 28 13:26 firewire4

Assuming I need to change the settings in fstab so that the drive is
mounted with different options, how do I make Hal do that?  I've read
man fstab-sync, man mount, man fstab, and:
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html?only_with_tag=hal-0_4-stable-branch
and the sample policy files at /usr/share/doc/hal-0.5.2/conf
but I'm at a loss as to how to arrive at my desired setup.

Also, once I get HAL to write the correct fstab, how do I get all this
working at boot time?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.

Eric.