ntfs USB HDD permissions

George Billios gbillios at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 12:32:21 PDT 2006

-------- Original Message  --------
From: David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>
To: George Billios <gbillios at gmail.com>
Subject: Re:ntfs USB HDD permissions
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 21:49:32

> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 23:06 +0300, George Billios wrote:
>> The problem is gnome-mount.
>>
>> This is the new kid on the block which is used in FC5 to mount/umount
>> volumes and guess what....
>>
>> It doesn't check at hal properties at all! The idea in the future
>> (probably in 2010+ checking from the progress in gnome-mount cvs --
>> hasn't been updated since 01/03/2006!) is that gnome-mount will take the
>> extra parameters from gconf and you will be able to choose them also by
>> right-clicking on a volume
>
> Something like this (work-in-progress)
>
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gnome-mount-nautilus.png
>
> just prettier and more functional. IIRC, SUSE got, in one of their
> releases, a patch to KDE that does exactly this just in KDE.
>
>> BUT for now you have no luck expect if you
>> mount manually the volumes!
>>
>> There is an open bug in fedora for this but... no response, no reply, no
>> will to do something.
>
> Right on the money, except for the fact that the reason no progress have
> been made is that I've been busy with other stuff. And no one sent any
> patches either for this :-)
>
> Another reason is that it's fundamentally dangerous to just grant the
> privilege of mounting ntfs (or hfs+) read-write with full access since
> it will allow you to tamper with password files on those volumes and
> effectively render the OS'es using those volumes insecure.
>
> That's why we need stuff like PolicyKit -  here's some more
> work-in-progress on that front.
>
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/perm-override/gnome-mount-perm-override-1.png
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/perm-override/gnome-mount-perm-override-2.png
>
> So, to sum up, these things are intended to be solved, but it takes a
> lot of time especially because I want to get it right the first time.
>
> Hope this explains.
>
>     David

David,

It seems that when you are busy the whole universe stops :)

For me the problem starts back in January if I remember correctly where
you (FC developers) decided to use gnome-mount while knowing there are
big problems. I will not raise a vs here whether pmount or gnome-mount
is the way but I will raise the issue of using a not tested solution
while you have a good one.

I also learned in the process that reading devel lists 2 months before
releasing a new FC version is a must!

Regards,
George