Spec suggestions regarding IDE

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 18 18:04:46 PDT 2006

> Canonical example: CD burner library which accepts HAL UDIs? That
> library is gonna need to get a hold of the device in the OS space. There
> are many IDE CD burners out there, so if it planned on translating the
> properties of a UDI into an OS-specific identifier, it would need to
> understand the specified behavior of those properties.

The very idea of namespaces is to let applications use only the
necessary minimum amount of knowledge. It is not a good idea to make CD
burning code depend on the kind of bus the CD burner is connected to:
IDE, SCSI, FireWire, USB - it shouldn't matter, as long as the device
supports the MMC command set.

BTW, I don't grasp the meaning of "translating the properties of a UDI",
but keep in mind that UDI is just a token, used to uniquely identify a
HAL device. Think of it as a memory pointer. Applications should never
try to interpret UDIs, today it's "/devices/pci_1/ide_host_2", tomorrow
it might become "/devices/0x812ad82393293489234".

-Artem.