Card-Reader Problem -- hal polls results in high system load

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 24 12:02:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 20:48 +0200, Christian Haul wrote:
> Of course I will take your advice and repost on the linux kernel list.

Thanks.

> However, I still would like to know if there is a way to at least temporarily disable
> polling?

Yup, write an fdi file that looks like this

        <deviceinfo version="0.2">
          <device>
            <match key="storage.vendor" string="VENDOR_NAME">
              <match key="storage.model" string="MODEL_NAME">
                <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">true</merge>
              </match>
            </match>
          </device>
        </deviceinfo>

and put it in /etc/hal/fdi/information/ and make sure it's name ends
in .fdi. Be sure to replace VENDOR_NAME and MODEL_NAME with what matches
your device (use lshal to find out).

Once that file is there you can simply replug your reader (no need to
restart the hal daemon) and it should work if you have media in the
device when it's plugged in.

HTH,
David