pda rules, visor and libusb

mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 12:58:39 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:29 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> There's one thing missing in the kernel to be able to use HAL properly
> for Palm devices.
>
> Most Palms show 2 TTY devices on their USB interface. Depending on the
> model of the Palm, only one is useful, but there's no way to check which
> device the first or second interface would be.

If users move to using libusb directly, which will be available in the
next pilot-link release (0.12.0), there will be no TTY devices, and the
kernel visor module will be blacklisted.

For this reason, I've currently decided not to use HAL pda support in
gnome-pilot, and just to check the device/vendor IDs when I get a hal
callback.  It's working nicely and should support libusb mode too.  A
list of device/IDs may be ugly, but that's what you've got in effect by
using the visor module -- it's just that usbserial has the list, not
hal.

> David told me it was an easy patch to the kernel, and I believe he still
> owes me that patch ;)
> I could surely make the patch myself, given some pointers on what I'm
> supposed to be doing to export that "index".

I am now watching this space...

Matt

Matt Davey              Confucius say: To understand recursion, you must
mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk             first understand recursion.