0.5.8 goals and TODO list updated

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Aug 4 12:30:21 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 12:07 +0200, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le vendredi 4 août 2006 02:09, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> > and feel free to send mail if you
> >
> >  1. have additional items you think should be on the list
> >
> >  2. have comments about what we want to finish we 0.5.8. Specifically
> >     it would be great if Richard or someone else could look at the
> >     TODO about the VideoAdapterPM stuff - I haven't really followed it.
>
> Not sure it fits in any of the above comment categories you provided, but
> since I've one...
>
> In the TODO you wrote:
> "- Provide mechanism for making an application inhibit polling of a drive."
>
> Shouldn't HAL use the Lock()/UnLock() mechanism for this? It's already here,
> and as an application developer if I can get a device locked I would expect
> it to be *exclusively mine*. It means that polling shouldn't occur while I
> have the lock (also means that the eject button does nothing as you already
> hinted). If we go with such a route the only work left is to make addons stop
> polling a device when an application holds the lock on it.

Well, Lock() on drives is indeed meant to only be advisory. It doesn't
prevent anyone from invoking methods on the device - applications are
meant to be cooperative and that's fine.

(maybe we want to clarify in the spec what locking really means)

And sometimes you do actually want polling to occur when holding a
lock... for example nautilus-cd-burner takes the lock on the optical
drive when asking the user to insert a disc. This happens because the
user might insert a rewritable disc with existing data on it and then we
don't want gnome-volume-manager to mount it. And to detect disc
insertion we need to poll.

    David