HAL, sound cards and laptops

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Sun Aug 6 16:04:26 PDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 11:53:45PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> - My laptop has a softmodem which is available as ALSA device on
> Linux. Currently there is no way to tell the difference between a real
> sound card and such a modem in HAL.

Doesn't the device pointed to by alsa.physical_device reveal whether
it's a modem or an actual sound card? I don't have one of these modems,
so I can't test it from here.

However, I think it might make sense to create a new "audio" namespace
with a "class" property telling what kind of device it is. The above
method is alsa and pci specific which might currently be sufficient in
95% of cases, but in the future new buses may appear and other operating
systems might have different sound systems.

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |