HAL, sound cards and laptops

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Fri Aug 11 08:18:28 PDT 2006

On Fri, 11.08.06 15:26, Danny Kukawka (danny.kukawka at web.de) wrote:

> > But anyway. Would you at least merge a patch which would change the
> > "oss.type" to "pcm-solaris-legacy" or something like that?
>
> Maybe 'oss-legacy' or only 'legacy', it's more generic?

If /dev/dsp has the "oss.type" of "pcm" /dev/audio should, too. Let's
not forget that this device is only for PCM and not for MIDI or
anything else. And it is a SunOS/Solaris compatibility kludge. Hence
I'd vote for "pcm-sunos-legacy" or "pcm-sunos" or so.

> > Look, this specific device file might reside in different locations on
> > different operating systems. Just think of devfs device paths. Or
> > think of someone having a UDEV rule which renames his sound devices
> > for him, so that "/dev/audio" becomes "/dev/intel-hda-audio" and so
> > on. Or think of MacOSX where the file systems layout is completely
> > different from the FHS.
>
> Then match for linux.sysfs_path ... there is no difference.

linux.sysfs_path is not portable.

> This isn't a argument for me, there are maybe also programms which are not
> _modern_, which like to use hal directly or indirectly and they would like to
> use /dev/audio. Sorry, but again: I don't understand what's the problem with
> a strncmp() ... if you do this in your application you can filter what you
> need and we don't lose infos in HAL which maybe needed by other
> applications.

Once again. The name does not clearly state what kind of device this
is. Because of udev, devfs, other OSes. There is no portable way to
query the "traditional" OSS device name for a device in HAL. It's as
simple like that.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/