HAL on OLPC (removing acpi, apm and pmu)

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Dec 10 12:24:10 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 20:14 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> This sounds much better than the way I've done this. Would the
> Makefile.am just include the acpi.c file if HAVE_ACPI is defined and
> unconditionally include acpi.h?

Uh, I'm not sure about Makefile.am but I suppose so since acpi.h would
be included unconditionally in the sources that require functions from
acpi.c (unless they're stubbed with static inlines)

> Will they? Surely a static inline function returning a single value will
> be optimized out? Maybe I have more faith in GCC than I should. ;-)

Oh, yes, that ought to be optimised out, but if you have

switch (something) {
case NEVER_HAPPENS:
  ev = call_static_inline_something()
  break;
}

then I suspect that the compiler will still generate at least some code
for the "case NEVER_HAPPENS" although it might optimise against the
default case.

johannes