Profiling memory usage

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 16:51:23 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 13:40 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > For now, ignore the bus traffic generated using udevsend, I think we
> can
> > just suppress it from the HAL side. With regard to waiting for
> coldplug
> > to finish, I guess we can just poll /sys/kernel/uevent_seqnum, but
> is
> > there a nicer way?

I've been hacking. I'm suppressing the PROPERTY_CHANGED events on
startup (using the global flag hald_is_initialising) and doing a
udevtrigger rather than coldplug, and then waiting for seqnum to settle.

Attached is the PDF showing the memory use. Remember the coldplug memory
allocation used to be about 4Mb [1], and now the peak usage is about
140kb. Perhaps.

There's still some devices missing, but I really think this idea is
worth playing with.

I've also attached my test patch, it would be good for somebody to look
over it and see if I'm being insane.

Thanks,

Richard.

[1] http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/massif.pdf