RESOLVED: High load by HAL on Sun X4200

Brodie, Kent brodie at mcw.edu
Mon Dec 18 09:26:37 PST 2006

Well--  I solved my problem (thanks much to the HAL archives and a bit
of research on my part).

One of my suspicions was true--  the issue seems to be that HAL doesn't
particularly like the virtual devices presented to the operating system
by the Sunfire X4200 bios/IPMI.

The "workaround" was that I created an fdi file called
99-disable-virtual-devices.fdi in /usr/share/hal/fdi/30osvendor , and it
looks like this:

        <deviceinfo version="0.2">

           <device>

            <match key="storage.vendor" string="AMI">

              <match key="info.product" string="Virtual CDROM">

                <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled"
type="bool">false</merge>

              </match>

            </match>

          </device>

           <device>

            <match key="storage.vendor" string="AMI">

              <match key="info.product" string="Virtual Floppy">

                <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled"
type="bool">false</merge>

              </match>

            </match>

          </device>

        </deviceinfo>

Which basically says, if it's an AMI (American Megatrends bios) device,
AND it's either a Virtual Floppy or Virtual CDROM, then disable the
media probe/check.    That seems to make HAL and my system's load much,
much happier.

As I said-that's a "workaround"---    unfortunately, my gut feeling is
that it's a toss-up as to whether this is a HAL issue (in dealing with
the virtual device), or it's a SUN issue (in that, it's presenting the
virtual device in a funky way?).....       Hopefully, some developer(s)
on this list might have an idea?

I'd be more than happy to provide any of you additional information
required to help this get resolved in the long run.......

--Kent

Kent C. Brodie - brodie at phys.mcw.edu

Department of Physiology

Medical College of Wisconsin