Device not ready - messages with YAMAHA CDRW8424S

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Feb 7 17:43:50 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 11:33 +0100, Andreas Brogle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> hald is printing that messages below to the active console continously.
>
> /var/log/messages:
> Feb  7 10:16:48 a9 kernel: Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the
> drive.
> Feb  7 10:17:19 a9 last message repeated 15 times

The kernel driver is broken and needs to be fixed to not print out this
non-sense just because user space attempts to open the device
periodically. And we do need to poll the device for media changes. Btw,
when the large distributions started shipping hal, a number of drivers
got fixed to not printk things like this. I guess your hardware is just
rare.

Good luck,
David