coldplug working better than hotplug (newbee question)

John Galloway jrg at dbengines.com
Wed Feb 15 06:01:02 PST 2006

I'm running hal 0.5.5.1 with dbus 0.36.2 udev 0.64 and a
2.6.12 kernel on an arm cpu.  I find Hal's enumeration/description
of devices is better if the device in question (an mmc
card) is plugged in when hald is started as opposed to
plugging it in later.  It sees it in both cases, but the coldplug
case gets the volumes vs devices better while the hotplug
case seems to miss some capabilities.  I've seen a few posts
talking about the reverse (hotplug seeing what coldplug does
not), but has the other way around been seen?  Any pointers to
what might be causing such?
   -jrg