coldplug working better than hotplug (newbee question)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Feb 18 10:48:16 PST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for the delay,

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:01 -0500, John Galloway wrote:
> I'm running hal 0.5.5.1 with dbus 0.36.2 udev 0.64 and a
> 2.6.12 kernel on an arm cpu.  I find Hal's enumeration/description
> of devices is better if the device in question (an mmc
> card) is plugged in when hald is started as opposed to
> plugging it in later.  It sees it in both cases, but the coldplug
> case gets the volumes vs devices better while the hotplug
> case seems to miss some capabilities.  I've seen a few posts
> talking about the reverse (hotplug seeing what coldplug does
> not), but has the other way around been seen?  Any pointers to
> what might be causing such?

Well, it sounds like you got the deps for 0.5.5.1 wrong

 - Linux 2.6.13 or later
 - udev 071 or later (using udevsend as hotplug multiplexer)
 - dbus 0.50 or later (with glib bindings)

but, eh, the way hal handles disks should still work. I had a very
similar issue and it turned out I was missing some udev rules

 # sysfs is populated after the event is sent
 ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/*", ENV{PHYSDEVBUS}=="?*", WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="bus"
 ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="address"
 ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi", WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="ioerr_cnt"

 # ignore these events until someone needs them
 SUBSYSTEM=="drivers",           OPTIONS="ignore_device"
 SUBSYSTEM=="module",            OPTIONS="ignore_device"

 ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ENV{FIRMWARE}=="*", RUN="/sbin/firmware_helper", OPTIONS="last_rule"

putting this in

 /etc/udev/rules.d/05-udev-early.rules

fixed it for me. You might need other rules and most probably a more
recent kernel and/or udev release.

Good luck,
David