using udevsend for the hotplug multiplexer (for hal)

John Galloway jrg at dbengines.com
Mon Feb 20 21:19:08 PST 2006

Is all that is necessary to echo /sbin/udevsend to /proc/sys/kernel/
hotplug?

If I do so, hal does not see any hotplug events at all as far as I
can tell.
If I leave the above as /sbin/hotplug (the shell script) then libexe/
hal.hotplug
does get called and hal gets the 3 events (for the MMC slot, the MMC
card
and the partition on the card), but sadly in the wrong order.  Udevsend
holds events and reorders them If I am not mistaken so this should solve
my problem.

Now I am running down 1 rev on the kernel (2.6.12 should be 13), udev
(070 should be 071) and dbus (0.36.2 should be .50) but I thought I'd
try it anyway.  So indeed maybe the reqs are real! :-)  But getting back
to the setup, once I have the right revs, is the above /proc change all
that is needed?

Also, this will still exec udevsend for every event, I thought the
idea was
to let a daemon sit on the netlink (hotplug) socket and hence save all
those new procs.  Did I misunderstand that? (the big hal diagram doesn't
show udesend)
   -jrg