General questions about HAL

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Sun Feb 26 10:11:56 PST 2006

> My question is, is there a nice, informative page about how to write FDI
> files? I believe that there are a lot of people out there who are
> capable of doing everything they want with HAL, but can't find the
> information (examples) they need to get going.

I strongly believe that all user customizations must be done on the desktop
side, say if you're running GNOME with g-v-m and gnome-mount, GConf, you only
need to look in GConf. Take Dik Takken's example - there is no reason g-v-m
couldn't allow to specify commands to run on device insertion (per device type,
per device instance, or other criteria).

System customizations should also move away from fdi editing. E.g. David's
recent checkin will allow to black/whitelist devices from UI.

HAL is an open development (well almost ;) Anyone can make suggestion or feature
requests. When David and the team thinks it's a worthwhile idea and fits into
the overall HAL strategy, it should be added to the TODO list or some other
publicly available document. Then creative users, instead of writing own scripts
in the quiet of their home, can actually contribute and make life better for
everyone. Isn't that what open source is all about?

-Artem.