hal privileges [was: Re: [Utopia] gnome-mount 0.3 is out]

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 12 08:51:45 PST 2006

> Sigh... If the user is able to insert a USB key to the system, then he
> is also able to wield an axe through it and destroy it that way. Sure,
> let's fix that bug, but, for the love of $DEITY, this is _not_ an attack
> vector that is worth bothering about.

That's one school of thought. According to it, you should just let any
console user log in as root and stop worrying about security.

Consider one example: if I'm in front of your house, I can burn it down
and destroy it that way. But I could also find a non-destructuve way to
penetrate the house, do less apparent damage or steal something, and
leave unnoticed. What happens more often in real life?

-Artem.