read global unique identifier (GUID)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 00:47:06 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 07:31 +0100, Roman Sommer wrote:

> hello everyone,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to read the computer's GUID with HAL
> (presumably stored in the BIOS).
> I need that hexadecimal number because of its uniqueness (not always
> the case - but most times at least) and it being the only information
> I have to assign hostnames to linux desktop clients (GUID <-->
> hostname correlation).

Depends. We currently use dmidecode to get some BIOS stuff.

Does your GUID appear in the output of dmidecode?

I get:

System Information
        Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
        Product Name: Satellite Pro A10
        Version: PSA15E-01PJY-EN
        Serial Number: X3890390G
        UUID: 684xx80-xx30-1xx1-80xx-B1xxx389xxxx
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch

If a UUID == GUID you can use smbios.system.uuid to get at this data.

Richard.