0.5.6 planning (Was Re: DBUS: at_console, no fallback.)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jan 21 10:23:50 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm on a spree today to clean up the hal source tree!

> > So.. does anyone have anything they want in before we release 0.5.6? The
> > only thing I want to change is the removal of the volume.policy.* and
> > storage.policy.* properties, or at least only include them when we build
> > with fstab-sync enabled. Ideally, I'd like to remove fstab-sync and
> > these properties completely - would anyone object to this?
>
> Since gnome-volume-manager/pmount-hal use these properties, too, I
> would miss them a bit (they are not strictly limited to fstab-sync).
>
> I agree that using gconf is totally preferable for Gnome. However,
> removing these properties would remove the possibility of altering
> mount policy for other desktop environments (e. g. XFCE with ivman).
>
> From my POV it would be preferable to ignore these properties in
> gnome-mount (or, rather, let the gconf settings override the hald
> ones), but leave them in the hal spec, so that alternative daemons
> like ivman and KDE's kioslaves stick to a common standard.

After some thinking, I've now removed these properties. It's now up to
distributions to include these as a patch to HAL which shouldn't be much
work at all as it don't conflict.

It's available in the attic, here's a link

 http://cvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi?hideattic=0&rev=1.10&view=log

> But yay for removing fstab-sync. :)

I just removed it from the hal source tree earlier today!

Cheers,
David