Dave Jones Linux startup analysis

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 30 17:08:32 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 01:34 +0100, Vedran Rodic wrote:
> http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/35270.html
> Is anybody working on fixing problems in hal?

Not that I know of.. but it should be straightforward... though still a
significant amount of tedious work. In the process we'd probably want to
rework all fdi-file parsing (hald/device_info.c) in order to easily
store the parsed XML as rule-trees. Then add some inotify (or whatever)
magic and evict the cache when things change. Should probably think
about memory pressure though I don't think it's an issue at all.

Btw, it's not really rocket surgery.. just a lot of hard work. I'm not
sure it's a huge problem either.. though we definitely want to fix this
at some point... Personally I'd want to fix the policy framework before
looking at optimizations..

> "If it's a file, I'll stat it!"

Heh, yea, it's an awesome analysis... Good job Dave!

    David