The "No response within specified time" error

Marko Anastasov marko at marko.anastasov.name
Tue Jan 31 10:43:04 PST 2006

Hello,
I'm getting this error message while trying to mount
a usb flash, after calling dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block.
Does that mean that I'm not sending the message correctly?
Please take a look, I've ran out of ideas here. This is the code
(like in g-v-m and g-m):

// udi_ is a string and gets its value in the constructor
// from libhal_volume_get_udi

bool
FlashDrive::mount()
{
  char* fstype, *mount_point;
  char* options[0];
  int noptions = 0;
  DBusMessage *msg, *reply;
  DBusError error;

  g_debug("mounting %s...", udi_.c_str());

  if (! (msg = dbus_message_new_method_call("org.freedesktop.Hal",
                                            udi_.c_str(),

"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume",
                                            "Mount")))
  {
    g_debug("mount failed for %s: could not create dbus message.",
udi_.c_str());
    return false;
  }

  fstype = "";
  mount_point = "";
  options[0] = NULL;
  noptions = 0;

  if (! dbus_message_append_args(msg,
                                 DBUS_TYPE_STRING, &mount_point,
                                 DBUS_TYPE_STRING, &fstype,
                                 DBUS_TYPE_ARRAY, DBUS_TYPE_STRING,
                                 &options, noptions,
                                 DBUS_TYPE_INVALID))
  {
    g_debug("mount failed for %s: could not append args to dbus
message", udi_.c_str());
    dbus_message_unref(msg);
    return false;
  }

  dbus_error_init (&error);
  if (! (reply = dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block(dbus_conn_,
msg, -1, &error)))
  {
    g_debug("mount failed for %s: %s", udi_.c_str(), error.message);
    dbus_message_unref(msg);
    dbus_error_free(&error);
    return false;
  }

  g_debug("mount command succeeded for %s", udi_.c_str());

  dbus_message_unref(msg);
  dbus_message_unref(reply);

  return true;
}

Thanks,

Marko

(ps by clicking on the address in Vedran's last msg I accidentaly
sent this to hal at fd.org instead of here)