[powersave-devel] Re: CPUFreq addon in HAL

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Thu Jul 6 04:01:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 07:30:21PM +0200, Kevin Ottens wrote:

> > With the ondemand governor this setting is set through
> > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load . The
> > userspace implementation evaluates also the CPU nice load when calculation
> > the CPU load.

[...]

> Ok, thanks for the insight.

Let me add that i think this really needs to be configurable, because
whatever the preset is, some users will complain. I know this from years
of supporting those users.
If "ignore_nice = yes" is the default, some will complain that their CPU
does not switch to higer frequencies even though it is 100% loaded.
If "ignore_nice = no" is the default, some will complain that they
explicitly niced their processes to only let them use "spare" CPU time.

Of course, on environments that assume their users do not want to decide
this, the policy daemon can hardcode it to whatever his author likes.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."