Newbie: How to tie a battery driver to HAL?

Bob Smith bsmith at linuxtoys.org
Sun Jul 9 18:27:26 PDT 2006

Hi
    I'm writing a device driver for a battery and
I'd like to tie it into HAL.  Is there a document
anywhere that describes what HAL expect of battery
device drivers?  Does it need specific entries in
/sys, /proc, or /dev?  If so, what entries?

To start, just getting battery.charge_level.current
to work would be great.  The device driver stuff I
can do; it's tying it to HAL that I don't understand.

The target is for a battery powered ARM device and
the company does not want to use any ACPI stuff.

Thanks for any tips or hints on getting started.

Bob Smith