gconf question

John Galloway jrg at dbengines.com
Wed Jul 12 12:38:26 PDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:17 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 12:04 -0700, John Galloway wrote:
>> True (I think) but there is system configuration needed (the
>> location of
>> the gconf settings sources) which if not setup are going to at best
>> return
>> emtpy strings for any call if none of that has been setup and at
>> worst is
>> going to just explode if gconfd can't be started.  For systems
>> that are not going to be using gconf at all, this seems a long way
>> around
>> to find this out.
>
> Well, gconf is a requirement for gnome-mount, that's not going to
> change, sorry.
As you might expect, I don't want to include gnome-mount either! :-)

>> I'd like to see the use, or not, of gconf to be a configure setting.
>> I don't
>> care which way the default goes, but I'd like to not have to link
>> against
>> the gconf libs or ever try to start the daemon if I know no such
>> thing exists (i.e.
>> on our system gconfd does not exist).
>
> No, that just doesn't make sense at all. gnome-mount is written
> specifically for GNOME and as such will leverage GNOME infrastructure
> such as gconf and gnome-keyring. I've been very clear about this
> and it
> seems to me that KDE and/or SUSE is doing a similar thing.
>
> And that's fine, it's intentional that desktops should take
> advantage of
> their native technologies, at least until we have shared
> technologies in
> these areas (but I'm not holding my breath for dconf, dkeyring
> etc.). At
> least we get to share the mechanism, e.g. HAL.
>
> You are, however, free to contribute e.g. hal-mount scripts / code
> similar to gnome-mount we can ship in the hal tarball. I actually
> think
> many command line users would like that. Thanks.
Actually (since we stuck on 0.5.5.1 for the moment) I haven't looked
into
the newer mount things and don't actualy know what gnome-mount is,
but there already is a pmount and a pmount-hal (though i'm not using
those either).

> Btw, I'm curious what the problem with pulling in gconf, gnome-keyring
> etc. here is?
We're not a gnome desktop.  Its palmsource, so we're making a handheld
system (all announced now, but I never bothered to re-subscribe under
my palmsource account) based on linux but providing a palmOS-ish user
experience and apps.  Gconf did not provide the security we needed to
use it for everything (i.e. including device management stuff pushed out
by the carrier) and user application stuff, so we wrote our own settings
system.  Likewise gnome does not offer what we need for the tiny screen
type usage, so its not in play either.  HAL does offer good stuff and we
are using it and would like to continue to do so, maybe increasing such
(i.e. now its just pluggable media, but we've been looking at other hw
mgt issues where we could leverage HAL).  But the more a desktop env
is required, the less likely this will become.  Its also a very memory
constrained environment so pulling in anything we don't actually use is
very undesirable.
   -jrg