How do I add utf8 to a certain mounted device?

Xamindar junkxamindar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 19:07:08 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 7/1/06, Xamindar <junkxamindar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a Zaurus that mounts as a usb flash drive.  I need it to mount
>> with utf8 so I can read and copy over filenames that are in Japanese.
>> At the moment I have to unmount it when hal mounts it and mount it
>> manually with the option.
>>
>> Is there a way to have Hal mount this device with utf-8?  If not then
>> I'm fine with having all my usb sticks mounted with utf-8.
>
> I believe the way to do it is by creating an fdi policy file with your
> preferences.  The default settings are in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy
> (on hal-0.5.7) and you can put custom policy in /etc/hal/fdi/policy.
> So create a new file mypolicy.fdi or something in /etc/hal/fdi/policy.
> Then you can add the policy there.
>
> Look at the default files for the structure.  Look at the output of
> `lshal' to see keys that you can match on. The spec file is helpful,
> too.
>
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html?view=co&pathrev=HEAD
>

> --
> Dan

How do I even create these policy files?  Does the filename need to
start with a low number, say 20, or a high number, like 95?  What order
does it use these files?  All the policy files under
/usr/share/hal/dfi/policy are so very different so it is hard to figure
out what is needed.

That spec file you linked gave me a 404 :(