HAL and persistant storage

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Jul 14 11:36:39 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 10:56 -0700, Eric Munson wrote:
> Sorry for not being more clear about what I was looking for.  lshal will
> give me a dump of what is on the system, but I need a query-able
> collection.  Can hal keep a database of hardware information?

You mean something like a database for all devices that HAL has seen on
the system, even when they are not currently available? Like a "history"
of devices on the system?

No, HAL itself does not store anything, but some tools that rely on HAL
do, to remember devices that come back and apply a stored configuration.
But usually this information is only stored in the user session, where
policy decisions are made, and not at the system level.

Kay