How to get info into HAL?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Jul 15 10:14:17 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:50:35PM -0700, bsmith wrote:

> BTW: I work for PalmSource where we are building a highly memory
> constrained desktop on dedicated hardware.  (PDAs have become
> small desktops these days.)  HAL seems pretty tightly tied to the
> PC (and ACPI) and might be a poor fit for a handheld system with
> an ARM CPU, battery, low disk, and relatively low RAM.

So this is obviously not a desirable situation. Are the issues with
dependencies, resource usage, disk usage or more general functionality?
There's almost certainly low-hanging fruit in terms of memory savings.

Providing your hardware is exposed through the standard kernel
interfaces, ensuring that HAL knows about it shouldn't be difficult. A
better understanding of what problems you're facing should help here.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org