portable_audio_player playlist issues

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 20:18:10 PDT 2006

G'day everyone,

We've been working on adding support for the newer
(portable_audio_player.playlist_path et al) keys to Rhythmbox, so that
we automatically support any players that HAL detects. However we've
come across an issue with the keys.

The playlist_path and playlist_format keys specify what file(s) to read
and what format they are in - but there isn't one specifying what the
contents of the playlist refer to.

For many players the paths in the playlists are relative to the volume
root, but this isn't always the case; some players have then relative to
the playlist file, the Nokia 770 uses the for
"file:///media/mmc1/..." (where it is on the device).

The best idea I've come up with is a flag to indicate whether the
entries are relative to the volume root or the playlists, and a prefix
string. So for example the prefix for the Nokia would be
"file:///media/mmc1/" which applications would strip to get the
volume-relative path, and would add back when saving.

If anyone has comments, or better ideas, they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Prediction is difficult, especially of the future. - Niels Bohr