Help with Luks devices

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 13:45:27 PDT 2006

Hi,

I know this isn't the correct list for device-mapper support, but I
hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I've set up a Luks encrypted ext3 filesystem on a USB key.  Using
luks-setup from Michael Petullo's luks-tools, I can get the volume
mapped and mount the device in /dev/mapper.  My problem is that I
don't have a /dev/dm-* device, and this seems to be what HAL is
looking for to perform the equivalent actions.

Since the /dev/dm-* nodes aren't handled by stock Udev, I was
wondering if someone could explain the userspace tools needed.  I have
current device-mapper, cryptsetup-luks and hal-0.5.7 on linux-2.17.
I'm on a home brewed system, and I can't figure out what the
additional steps are.  I've groveled Fedora Rawhide for a while, but
can't find the magic bullet.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dan Nicholson