libhal-policy -> PolicyKit

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Wed Mar 8 00:54:51 PST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 05:40, David Zeuthen wrote:
> One thing that comes to mind is a tool that I want to call polkit-su
> that enables e.g. desktop apps to easily become an otherwise
> unprivileged user, polkit (user required for PolicyKit), that has wider
> and less restricted access to D-BUS methods on e.g. HAL.
> [...]
> To do useful work obviously the program that is to be executed needs to
> use D-BUS or similar and speak to a (system-wide) process with more
> privileges. HAL, for instance.

I can't follow you with the idea of that additional unprivileged user. What
exactly is a program running as that user supposed to do? If I understood you
correctly you'd talk to that program [how?] so that it can talk to hal on your
behalf. That looks like an unnecessary indirection to me.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development