libhal-policy -> PolicyKit

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 9 17:16:27 PST 2006

> Ok, this is to ensure that libpolkit don't circumvent system policy
> proprietary to the operating system, yes? [1]

Mainly for better integration, to make it a first-class citizen rather
than an add-on:

- authorizations have been around since early 90s;
- most Solaris admins already have the knowledge and skills to manage
authorizations;
- authorizations scale: the man page that I quoted mentioned
user_attr(4) and prof_attr(4) databases - these are just like passwd or
hosts, can be easily stored in NIS or LDAP.
- and yes, it allows us to mix libpolkit with some Solaris-specific
policies;

-Artem.