libhal-policy -> PolicyKit

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Fri Mar 10 01:47:40 PST 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 01:08, David Zeuthen wrote:
> It would be funny if other people could describe what their operating
> system (Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, Solaris, Mandriva, Gentoo etc.) is
> currently handling these.

>[listing of configuration modules]

The things you listed and more is done by YaST on SUSE Linux.
Usually you authenticate as root to launch the control center as
root. From there you can launch the individual configuration
modules. YaST has a builtin separation of frontend and backend. So
in theory the UI can run unprivileged (in fact years ago there was a
mode where you could run the backend on another host and control it
through a null modem cable). In practice it's easier to just put a
single su in front of YaST and run everything in one process as
root. For performance reasons the software installer also
circumvents the separation and links the UI directly to backend
libraries.

>  4. Hardware - view hardware on your system
>     FC5: hwbrowser (via consolehelper)
>     hal-device-manager is so much more useful but Fedora don't
>     include it in the default install and we don't provide a .desktop
>     file. This is intentional as it's a development tool, not an end
>     user app. Someday we'll have a shiny useful thing though :-)
>     Fix: write a useful h-d-m :-) - figure out what it should do; e.g.
>     select what kernel drivers to use

There used to be a hardware browser on SUSE Linux. One could even see whether a
device was already configured. One could also directly launch the appropriate
YaST module for a hardware item. Looks like it got lost with the introduction
of hal.

>  9. Network Configuration
>     FC5: system-config-network (via consolehelper)
>     For workstations / laptops NetworkManager is much better - but still
>     not default on Fedora :-/
>     Fix: Improve NM enough that system-config-network can be removed

*cough*

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development