Regarding USB

John Galloway jrg at dbengines.com
Wed Mar 22 09:30:41 PST 2006

Unless I'm completely confused about all this (always a possibility)
HAL doesn't actually mount devices at all.  it only produces a record
for the device that it can send out to processes (like say gnome-
volume-manager)
that are interested in device adds/removes.  Gnome-volume-manager calls
pmount-hal which uses the hal data you have merged into the record for
this new usb device to mount them (if you have its configure params
set to do so of course, use gnome-volume-properties or GConf-editor).
   -jrg