HAL ported to FreeBSD

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 1 09:05:21 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:50 -0700, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
> I think some things can be done cleaner when put in an OS directory.
> Specifically, some method scripts are just easier to rewrite for the OS
> than add multiple if-then's (e.g. your patch to
> hal-system-lcd-set-brightness is almost as long as the script itself :)).

Yea, read my reply to Jean-Yves on how to do this.

> Same applies to method .fdi's: I'm not sure
> "computer:system.kernel.name" stuff is worth the trouble when it could
> just solve it at Makefile level by having different files for different
> OSes.

Well, for .fdi files I think it makes sense to have a single file
because

 1. To ensure we set the same properties and to make sure that when
    someone changes something it's changed for all the OS'es (much
    more likely to be forgotten if it's separate files)

 2. Ideally we should have very few changes in .fdi files; if we have
    too many differences we've done a poor job of abstracting things
    and maybe we need to fix that then

    David