HAL ported to FreeBSD

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 1 11:13:19 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 19:22 +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Joe Marcus Clarke and I have ported HAL to FreeBSD. The attached patch
>> contains various portability/bug fixes as well as a few
>> improvements. It'd help me if you could apply them.
>>
>> Note that I'm not sending the freebsd backend since we're still
>> working on it (for those who want to have a look, it's available at
>> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/hal/hald/freebsd/).
>
> Sorry for the lag, I was out all weekend. Thanks a lot for the effort, I
> really appreciate it, here's some high-level comments
>
>  1. As Richard points out, it would be easier to review the patch if you
>     could chop it into some logical chunks - it doesn't have to be too
>     fine grained
>
>  2. Things like
>
>       +	if [ "x`uname -s`" = "xFreeBSD" ]; then
>
>     should probably be avoided. Maybe hald-runner should just export
>     environment variables UNAME_S and so forth. What do you think?
>
>     I like the ideal of having a shared script, e.g.
>     hal-system-lcd-get-brightness that is shared between
>     OS'es because we will do the policy checking in it. Maybe the
>     answer here is to have
>
>      tools/linux/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-linux
>      tools/freebsd/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-freebsd
>      tools/solaris/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness-solaris
>
>     and have tools/hal-system-lcd-get-brightness call the right one.
>     Then on e.g. FreeBSD you don't have to install the bits in
>     tools/linux or tools/solaris. Is this cool with you? Artem, what
>     do you think?

I changed the scripts since Jean-Yves first sent out the diff to move
all of the FreeBSD stuff into one section.  However, moving to a
backends-like directory structure for tools would be a good idea, IMHO.
 For one, FreeBSD doesn't need the pmu utility, and right now we just
#ifdef'd all the functions.  Not having to build this at all on FreeBSD
would help.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke