[Pm-utils] Re: Dealing with suspend/resume failures

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Nov 13 09:48:29 PST 2006

Holger Macht wrote:
>> Why can't we use /var/log/pm-{suspend,hibernate}.log created by pm-utils
>> instead? We are currently working on pm-utils being more verbose.
>
> I just see that your patch is actually doing this, redirecting the output
> of pm-utils (which is the same as the content of the logfile) to the
> suspend-output file. But maybe we still should just copy it because I like
> to always have a /var/log/pm-suspend.log file.

Whether pm-utils writes it's own log file is not something I care too
much about; standard rule of thumb is to be quiet if you think the
operation went well so by default pm-utils should probably be quiet.

I just want pm-utils to be able to take a parameter so dumps useful
logging information to stderr such that HAL can store that information
somewhere even when the run is succesful. And as HAL is going to delete
(or move) it anyway, the file should be owned by HAL, thus the
/var/lib/hal location.

I'll commit something like the patch I attached later today or tomorrow.
Thanks.

      David