hal 0571 works, hal >=0581 does not

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Fri Nov 17 17:42:07 PST 2006

Peter wrote:
> With dbus 1.0.0 and dbus-glib 0.72, hal 0.5.7.1 works fine, hald loads
> along with the runner. When I try the same with 0.5.8.1 with no policy
> kit, the hald daemon segfaults after probing volumes, and hal makes dbus
> inaccessible. The same occurs with the git version.
>
> I tried to capture the output of hald --daemon=no, but can't seem to get
> stdout to redirect to a file.
>
> hald --daemon=no >halfile.txt creates an empty file, not the whole
> screenfuls of data normally passed.
>
> So, not being a programmer, where should I start in order to provide you
> with useful information.
>
> kernel-2.6.17.3 with ck patches
> Slackware 11
> udev 0.97
> dbus 1.0.0
> dbus-glib 0.72
>
> thanks

I've experienced similar issues in Gentoo. This is why the official
Gentoo version still sits at the 0.5.7.1 series. However we're using a
stock kernel and I've had the same thing happen with kernel 2.6.17 and
2.6.18. udev 100 through 103. I haven't had time to debug the issue,
except the result log file looks similar to what your log was in your
other e-mail.

--
Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/