VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 3 14:47:39 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 10:49 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:

> Anyway, as I understand now, pm-utils calls hall to suspend the video
> cards. But what happened to: "hal depends on pm-utils, not the other way
> around"? This way pm-utils is less generic then promised; you can't
> usefully get the machine to sleep without hal.

Yeah, it's a problem with no good solution.  Really, when it comes down
to it, *something* has to actually do suspend+resume methods for all
hardware.  Normally this is the kernel.  In the case of video, nothing
wants to do it.

I'd argue it should be the kernel for video, too, but developers are not
going to be happy with where that train of thought leads us :(

--
  Peter