HAL & Thinkpads: additional hardware brightness, tp_smapi

Tomasz Torcz zdzichu at irc.pl
Thu Oct 5 10:47:08 PDT 2006

 Hi,

  first thing, match to set brightness_in_hardware in
10-laptop-panel-mgmt-policy.fdi is not wide enough. I have TP z61t, and
I had to add:
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:smbios.system.manufacturer" string="LENOVO">
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:smbios.system.version" string="ThinkPad Z61t">

  To have my brightness buttons work correctly. Probably all Thinkpads
from LENOVO should be matched, as there is T60 with same problems reported in
Ubuntu bugtacker (https://launchpad.net/bugs/61184 ).

  Second, is addon for tp_smapi (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi )
feasible? It can control when battery is charged, potentially extending
batterys life. Tp_smapi is included in Ubuntu kernel, I vaguely remember
seeing it proposed for mainline and carried in -mm.

 Please CC me on replies.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
zdzichu at irc.-nie.spam-.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox