i18n support for tools

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Oct 31 16:04:12 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 02:02 +0200, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Currently, KDE uses hal's methods for mount/umount operations, but if any
> error occurs it just shows the message written to stderr by hal in a dialog
> box.
>
> So for example in while KDE is Turkish, KDE shows unlocalized messages
> like "hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1002" to users.
>
> Attached patch is initial i18n support for tools/hal-storage-{un}mount.c. As a
> starting point i just converted the user visible strings but if you want i
> can start to add i18n support to others strings/tools.

Uh, no thanks, in fact I'd like to get rid of the i18n framework we
currently have. Only deprecated functions use it right now.

I think the right fix is for the GNOME and KDE's of the world to just
interpret the detailed exception name we throw (which is part of the
ABI).. and then provide the right message.

    David