hal forks many hald-addon-storage processes

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Sun Sep 10 13:21:07 PDT 2006

> According to your lshal and lshw output you've got 1 ``Virtual CDROM'' and 8
> ``Virtual Floppy'' devices.. For which hal is correctly spawning
> hald-addon-storage processes. What kind of devices are these ?

Sun Fire X4100's BIOS can take remote floppy/cdrom image files and present them
as a local physical floppy/cdrom. That way you can boot an OS (including
Windows) off a remote server. If David has 8 virtual floppies, I guess that's
how the system is configured.

-Artem.