hal forks many hald-addon-storage processes

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 11 11:16:08 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 08:04 +0300, David Peer wrote:
> > According to your lshal and lshw output you've got 1 ``Virtual CDROM'' and 8
> > ``Virtual Floppy'' devices.. For which hal is correctly spawning
> > hald-addon-storage processes. What kind of devices are these ? If you don't
> > really need them, maybe you can just turn them off in the bios?
> >
> > Strange that it causes so much system load to monitor them though..
> >
> >   Sjoerd
> >
> Yes, of course I can( and that is what I'm going to do, I don't need all
> this virtual devices ), but way it causes such load?

It's probably the same issue as we've hit here

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-May/005375.html

with the SCSI layer sending out a bunch of retries. I'm adding Alan
Stern to the Cc, for reference the original bug report is here

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-September/006077.html

with specifics about the hardware here

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-September/006091.html

 (executive summary: load is around 2 on a SunFire X4100 server
  most likely caused by having 8 "virtual" USB floppy drives and one
  "virtual" USB CD-ROM drive. These "virtual" drives are provided by the
  BIOS.)

Thanks,
David