Serial Ports (Was Re: Common Power Management : NUT and HAL (stage 1))

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 11 14:02:26 PDT 2006

Hi,

So if I understand correctly, this is the interaction we want

 1. User wants to configure serial port

 2. User selects UPS from list of device types

 3. We use print-ups-list to get a list of drivers, each entry
    contains:
    - driver name
    - some text blob explaining what the driver supports
    - a list of knobs, e.g. type, name and description of the
      knob, e.g. a list
    - e.g. a data structure like this
      {string driver_name,
       string driver_desc,
       array {string option_type,
              string option_name,
              string option_description} driver_options;
      }

 4. User selects the driver and options. These are stored as
    HAL properties and will persist between HAL restarts.

 5. We now launch the NUT addon, it reads the properties and
    starts.

Does this sound correct?

Cheers,
David