hal 0.5.8 "The Skynet Funding Bill is passed." released

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 06:36:35 PDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:17 +0300, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> > 12 Eylül 2006 Salı 12:06 tarihinde şunları yazmıştınız:
> > >
> > > We should not try to work around such issues, just use a recent system,
> > > you will need it for other reasons too.
> >
> > But <net/if_arpd.h> comes with glibc not kernel/linux headers at least for
> > Pardus and i checked what debian does and same there [1].
>
> Ah, ok. What a mess. Everybody seems to work around the crazy kernel
> headers issue. :)

Very messy, indeed. At least after linux-2.6.18 is released, David
Woodhouse's headers_install branch will be shipped. Then there might
be some sanity and everyone can get on the same page.

I don't think it's safe to "depend" on certain kernel headers until
this happens because everyone and their brother has a different
implementation.

> > -#include <net/if_arp.h> /* for ARPHRD_... */
> > +#include <linux/if_arp.h> /* for ARPHRD_... */
>
> That would work with your distro? You have that define in your current
> kernel headers?

Could there be a fallback to <net/if_arp.h> if these macros aren't
defined? At least then you can say you need recent kernel headers or
glibc-2.4.

--
Dan