Detecting exploding batteries, part 2

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Sep 25 02:08:44 PDT 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 09:19, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 09:12 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > I don't see, why we need this in HAL. This has IMO really nothing to do
> > with Hardware Abstraction. This keys are not really battery information.
>
> Umm. It's information about the hardware... Just like
>
> info.linux.driver = 'agpgart-intel'

No, it's not something like that!

> > This data blowup HAL with information wich is outdated in some weeks
> > because the batteries are replaced in new laptops and the most of the
> > batteries are recalled by the laptop vendors. And with the _normal_ HAL
> > release cycle this information are old and complete useless.
>
> Two points.
>
> 1. Vendors (Redhat/Suse) can send out updates to a HAL package in a
> matter of days.

1.) take a look at the release cycle of HAL
2.) take a look at the release cycle of the distributions (6 months - 1 year
or more for business products)
3.) take a look at the rules for updates of the distributions. For SUSE e.g.
we only offer official updates for (security) bugs and not for such stuff. No
distribution send out a update for such stuff.

> 2. Useless? If it saves one person from having his/her laptop blow up
> then isn't this a good thing? Most users won't send off the battery the
> moment the press-release is announced; some may never be aware there is
> a problem at all.

How many laptops blowed up? One or two?

No, IMO most users participate on the recalls and the call was in nearly every
newspaper, newsservice and in several tv news.

What's the next key in HAL? computer.your_disply_can_fail or
storage.you_harddisk_die_maybe_in_2_years?

Danny