Detecting exploding batteries, part 2

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 10:29:52 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 15:13 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> Maybe if all of them sit on island without newspapers, internet and
> tv. IMO the most of them will have replaced their batterie within the
> next 6 months.

I'm the only one in my family to replace a laptop battery in the last 2
years - but then my family are not very geeky.

> > > How many laptops blowed up? One or two?
> >
> > Over 10,000 batteries are affected just for the DELL problem. HP and
> > Apple are likely to have a smaller recall, but still significant.
>
> Yes and all blowed up already ... ;-)
>
> Btw. this is the job of the hardware manufacturer and not HAL. They
> should provide a tool to identify this batteries (and they can use
> maybe HAL, maybe other tools to identify the effected batteries).

I'm guessing the number of people who have no idea that there was a
recall, and then downloaded a random bit of software to detect recalled
hardware would be approximately zero. Also hardware vendors are
generally not very good at designing software, especially for Linux.

Richard.