Detecting exploding batteries, part 2

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:23:31 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 16:12 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 20:35 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 11:51 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > On the same noted the fdi files for USB music players shouldn't
> > > either.
> > > Perhaps we can combine this information and the hardware recall
> > > information in a separate project and/or tarball called hal-hwinfo.
> >
> > If you create hal-hwinfo I don't mind porting over the fdi files and
> > setting up the initial code - the more I think about this, the more sane
> > it becomes. Adding it to the git tree (like what was done with
> > PolicyKit) would allow existing HAL hackers to just switch repos.
>
> OK, I'll create a hal-hwinfo repository. Danny seemed not to like the
> name, so please post ideas for other names here.

hal-hardware-info
hal-info
hal-information
hal-extra-data
hal-data-files
hal-device-info
hal-device-data
hal-fdi

I think I quite like "hal-info"

> I'll also fix-up the usb csr stuff so as to separate the information
> (the fact that a USB mouse supports usb csr) from the mechanism
> (launching the usb csr addon).
>
> > I figure (IMO):
> >
> > * Distros don't want to update HAL in a stable distro because of all the
> > new scary stuff like PolicyKit and all the latest crazy libparted stuff
> > we like to come up with.[1]
> > * Shipping a few updated fdi files as an update is an all-together less
> > scary thing in a stable distro.
>
> Right. So, starting from 0.5.9 distributors will need two tarballs
>
>  - hal-0.5.9; and
>  - hal-hwinfo-20060925 (which will be noarch)
>
> where I've noted the intent to use the date as the version number for
> the latter.

Sounds like a plan. I guess the configure just needs to take the
location of the fdi directory [/usr/share/hal/fdi] and then just install
files in $dir/information/20thirdparty/ or
$dir/information/10freedesktop?

> Distributors are free to update the latter as often as they want and
> they will probably just ship git snapshots of hal-hwinfo anyway. We
> probably want all the suspend / hibernate quirks in the latter too.

Squarely agree.

Richard.