VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Sat Sep 30 01:49:32 PDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:29:29 +0100
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 21:14 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering what pm-utils was doing wrt graphics cards, then I
> > found this:
> >
> > 	org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo
> >
> > How does this work? Is hal calling into some process doing vbepost
> > and such?
>
> See my blog for lots of detail : http://hughsient.livejournal.com/

I couldn't find the answer to my question in your block, but maybe I
just didn't look well enough; I didn't feel like reading all your
entries...
But, what better documentation is there then the source?

Anyway, as I understand now, pm-utils calls hall to suspend the video
cards. But what happened to: "hal depends on pm-utils, not the other way
around"? This way pm-utils is less generic then promised; you can't
usefully get the machine to sleep without hal.

BTW, I think you're aware of suspend.sf.net, there they have some more
options to get the graphics card to behave.

    -s, --vbe_save:   save VBE state before suspending and restore
	after resume.
    -p, --vbe_post:   VBE POST the graphics card after
	resume
    -m, --vbe_mode:   get VBE mode before suspend and set it after
	resume
    -r, --radeontool: turn off the backlight on radeons before
	suspending.
    -a, --acpi_sleep: set the acpi_sleep parameter before
	suspend 1=s3_bios, 2=s3_mode, 3=both

grts Tim