Dell Backlight

Jon Barnett jbarnett at pobox.com
Sun Apr 1 11:03:46 PDT 2007

I've been playing with the hal 0.5.9 rc2 and rc3 releases but I can't
get the Dell backlight code to run at all. The hald-addon-dell-backlight
doesn't seem to start up. I've compiled it with smbios support and it
builds fine and it all installs. Everything else comes up fine as it has
always done with hal. cpu-freq and acpi hall add-ons start up fine.

I'm not a hal expert so I'm not quite sure what I can do to test for
correct operation of this add on or whether there is anything else I am
supposed to do with this. Any pointers would be appreciated. I can work
my way through the code if someone can explain the sequence of how the
add on is supposed to start up.

I'm using hal 0.5.9 rc3 at the moment. libsmbios is at 0.13.5. dbus is
1.0.2. I'm running on slackware-current. The kernel is at 2.6.20.1.

As an addendum, rc3 'make check' fails when verifying an fdi against a
dtd.
Validate XML in 10-keyboard-policy.fdi : failed
./10-keyboard-policy.fdi:12: element match: validity error : No
declaration for attribute contains_not of element match
Document ./10-keyboard-policy.fdi does not validate
against ../../../fdi/fdi.dtd

Cheers,

JonB